Kelmscott Primary School (Established 1882)
Kelmscott PS is located in the eastern suburbs of Perth, approximately 40 kilometres from the city. The school is close to Albany Highway but maintains a quiet semi rural feel due to its proximity to the Darling Scarp and the Canning River.
The school has an enrolment of approximately 400 students from Kindergarten to Year 6. The school is recognised as a 'school of choice' and receives a large number of applications for enrolment from families who reside outside our notional catchment area.
Kelmscott PS has a long history, being one of the first schools to be established in the 'suburbs' of Perth. In its early days it provided education to children in a wide area as it was the only school in the region. It has been, and remains, an important and integral part of the Kelmscott community and many of our parents and grandparents attended school here. Much pride is taken from this history and it is recognised as an important factor in the establishment and maintenance of traditions and values that guide our progress.
The original school is now long gone and the earliest of the current buildings were erected in the 1960s. Other facilities have been added over the intervening years with the most recent being completed in 2011 as part of the Building the Education Revolution program. The school now enjoys access to a fully enclosed Covered Assembly Area (The Hall); purpose built art, music and science rooms; an area to be developed to support media; and a modern canteen area.
The Kelmscott staff is committed to excellence and regularly participates in professional learning to enhance their skills. Students are actively encouraged to achieve their best and there are a high percentage of Kelmscott students accepted into specialist high school programmes.